Thursday, November 02, 2017

The Alchemist Or The Secret ? - 1

It was a nice afternoon, me discussing the ongoing project with my friend and eventually the discussions narowed down to his son, the one undergoing Computer Science engineering.

"What about him", I asked to my friend.

"I really do not know what he is up to, neither was I aware about this stream of education when I was in his era", was the reply from my friend.

"That's ok, but what is that making you worried about him or his career?", was my question to him.

"Frankly, I really do not know what is all about the new options in the career this generation has and I wish there was some one who could talk to me as well as my son explaining what it is actually when we are talking about the discipline he has chosen for his studies" - was my friend's saying!

"Well, I guess it must be you / your family asking your son to persue this stream of studies, knowing the fact that at the age of 17 your son may or may not be even knowing what he is going to land into", was my next comment. And that's where the whole story begins.

"Well, if you wish, I can have a word with him and share my experience with him, as I happen to spend almost 15+ years in IT industry", was all I could say. I was not really aware of the consequences of this saying at that time!

Not much waiting, once fine day I got a call from my friend, "Hey, can my son come to see you and get some insights about IT industry?"
"Yes, why now" is all I had to say, unaware about what was coming next to me, neverthe less with these young generation kids :)

And the D'day came, I was welcoming a couple of anxious kids, not known to each other, at my home. I tried to sooth them to my best, but seriously it was some work! After a few awkward moments and typical rituals of introducing to each other, my questions was "Ok, now that we know each other's names, what is that you expect from me?"

I am not really in a position to describe the next moments, as the kids happend to sit tight in their place, just missing of a seat belt, assuming a coaster ride of typical elderly dose of does and donts. That was the moment of truth and realization - these kids were just following the most happenning education stream, in a optimistic anticipation of making a good earning and eventually being so called well-settled adults....

Took me a while to decide about where to start the conversion. Of course, the need of the time was to make them comfortable that to feel that I am just another elder uncle who is ready with the loaded anti-vaccine shots treating them as vulnarable babies... I realized, though I was old enough by age and the tenure I have been engaged in IT industry, I had to bridge a huge gap, usually known as generation gap!

As clueless these kids as I was, all I had to do was to strike some conversation, so as usual terms I eneded with enquiring about college / schoo environment etc. Soon I was luckily able to corelate to my own college days, and that was that enlightning moment! I felt like Biddha. All it took for me was to ask about the pain areas related to college / extra classes these kids were going through and voila! I was soon very much a trust worthy old uncle :)

The journey is still on, and I wish to continue with what it started with 2 kids, grown up to 5 by now. I am thinking about what I thought that I would teach these kids, but eventually what I got to learn from them in the coming write-ups.

Till then, Hasta Manana...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home