Tuesday, March 20, 2007

College, Construction & Car

After a long time I was traveling to main city. The Engineering College where I studied my Mechanical Engineering is on the way to city. I got nostalgic for a moment. It’s been more than 12 years now that I have completed my graduation. All these years, I had never visited my college. But, I still remember the days when I used to walk ~5 kilometers to & fro from the central bus stand in city to save some money. We had a group of 5 close friends and three of us started smoking at the end of 1st year. The money was required to buy the cigarettes which explains my preferred mode of commutation!

I still get that feeling - the typical British styled stone construction of the college, the workshop, the hostel buildings, and the small garden in front of the main building, the professors & the canteen. Were the days when we used to just hang outside college building taking puffs of a shared cigarette talking about personal dreams and ambitions we had, once we would come out of the college.

As I was not 18 till the last year of my diploma course, I could only dream of that day when I could drive my own two wheeler to college, anticipating looks from the girls around (and the envy feelings amongst the boys), but, I wasn’t 18 and I didn’t own any two wheeler...

Now, today I am just passing by the same road besides my college reading the board outside the main entrance that states it’s the Golden Jubilee year of the college. Much has changed ever since I got my admission and its still changing a lot. During my tenure as student, except 4/5 students, rest used bicycles or public transportation to make to college. The road to college was a small, 2 lanes wide without much traffic given any hour of the day.

I am driving my car. I sold my own two wheeler four years back and got this car. The road to college now has a fly-over, and my car was at an altitude where the tallest building in the college campus was shorter than the fly-over. I can not even converse with those close friends as on date, meeting them would be only a dream I guess... I no longer need to walk and save money to buy cigarettes. Instead of buying one, now I end up having a carton of it. Instead of having four guys around waiting their turns to share the cigarette, I have it all just for my self. I always dreamt to drive-in on a two wheeler in the college. Now I have a car but I am no longer a student to drive-in. The road I used to reach college always kept me at a level which was shorter than the smallest construction within the college campus. Today, there is a road which let’s one drive at a level taller than any of my college buildings!

I don’t know what I should be feeling about all these things. I wish some one could counsel me talking about how changes are a must in human life, how our race must grow, be wealthier day by day & build more and more constructions as we evolve. But, may be, what I really need now is my good old friends, only one cigarette to share with them and the same quiet road outside my college compound where we can still hang around and talk about our dreams and ambitions...

2 Comments:

Blogger Zombiekid said...

Nostalgic !!
I remember my high school reunion about a year back when all that was left of our batch met after 10 yrs. Some of them went far ahead in their careers, BITS Pilani, IIT-K, IIM and likes...some of them got even ahead, wifes, husbands, parents of 2/3/4...and some like me, still with a child inside somewhere, was all happy about seeing my school, some teachers, juniors and most importantly, the school band instruments, that we used to play every morning after the assembly. Boy were those some days or what!

The days that went by all these years are like pages in a history book that we retrospect. Think what we did wrong and what right but still in a very mysterious way, we all wish we could go back there once !

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home